There are numerous enquiries about the eligibility of writing the IP and Group B exam (General line) for the officials opted for the Postmasters cadre. The department confirmed that the postmaster’s cadre is a separate hierarchical cadre; they will not be permitted to write the IP & Group B examination. They can avail only the normal promotions available in the cadre based on seniority cum fitness and they will not be permitted to sit in departmental examination,
On hearing the news, we record our protest and send a letter to Secretary seeking modification of the scheme allowing the postmaster’s cadre officials to write the examinations for promotion or otherwise they may be given one chance to revise their option if they desire to come out from the cadre. The copy of the letter is furnished hereunder for the consumption of all.
Many comrades are seeking our opinion about writing the Grade I exam proposed to be held on 15.5.2011. It will be prudent to take their own decision in this regard since we have already placed all the pros and cons on the issue through our journals and also in web sites.
Copy of letter no. P/4-1/Postmasters cadre dated 04.05.2011 addressed to Secretary, Department of Posts, Dak Bhawan New Delhi – 110001
Sub: - Arbitrary & unjust denial of admission in Group ‘B’ exam to those LSG officials opted for Postmaster cadre.
It is brought to our notice that the LSG officials who have opted for Postmaster cadre have been denied for appearing the Group B exam to be held on 29.05.2011 in Tamilnadu circle stating that they are not entitled for such appearance.
As per the orders only 25% in the Grade of Sr. Postmaster (around 29) will be filled up on seniority basis and the remaining 75% will be filled up only with IPO line officials. As such Postmaster cadre shall be categorized only as General line since the entire 116 Posts have not been earmarked for the Postmaster cadre and keeping share in IPO line.
After opting for Postmaster cadre, if one is not entitled to write Group B exam, it is nothing a farce and tantamount to denial of existing facilities to the officials. Atleast they should have been informed and seek revise option in case of such denial.
Similarly in Kerala Circle, the officials opted for Postmaster’s cadre are not being allowed to appear for the Inspector Post cadre examination which is higher cadre than Postmaster Grade-I, that is also nothing but freezing the existing benefits enjoyed by the officials.
It is therefore requested to cause suitable instruction forthwith to permit the Postmaster cadre opted officials to appear Group B & Inspector Post exams forthwith. Action may please be caused as if fire con the top of the house since the Group ‘B’ exam is posted on 29.05.2011.
A line in reply about the action taken is highly appreciated.
(K. V. Sridharan)General Secretary