SB ORDER NO.6/2011- Grant of Savings Bank Allowance to Postal Assistants working in Savings Bank/certificate branches-holding of SB Aptitude Test reg.
SB ORDER NO. 16/2011
Government of India
Ministry of Communications & IT
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg,
New Delhi-110001, Dated: 23.08.2011
All Heads of Circles/Regions
Addl. Director General, APS, New Delhi.
Subject:- Grant of Savings Bank Allowance to Postal Assistants working in Savings Bank/certificate branches- holding of SB Aptitude Test regarding.
Sir / Madam,
The undersigned is directed to refer to this office SB Order No.26/89 issued vide letter No. 2- 3/86-SB dated 27.4.1989, SB Order No.43/89 dated 12.9.1989, SB Order No. 26/90 dated 4.05.1990, SB Order No. 17/2004 dated 8.10.2001, SB Order No. 5/2005 issued vide letter no. 113-1/2003- SB(APT) dated 28.3.2005, D.O. letter of even number dated 26.2.2010 from DDG(FS) to all Heads of circles and SB Order No. 10/2011 dated 21.6.2011 on the subject.
2. Based on the inputs received from the circles, it was observed that out of the staff working in the POSB/SC related branches in the post offices, the percentage of staff passed SB Aptitude test is very low and in some circles the test has either been not held from many years or not regularly held. In view of this, the pattern and syllabus of the aptitude test has been reviewed in this office and it has been decided to revise the whole pattern as well as syllabus of this test which is very important from the operational point of view of the POSB/SC. Min. of Finance is also time and again pointing out the high percentage of irregularities being committed by the postal staff which is resulting in financial loss to the Government as well as in some cases to the customers and increase in court cases/public grievances.
3. Revised Syllabus, pattern, eligibility criteria, procedure for setting up of paper/venue and further reporting to this division are attached as enclosure. Test will be held twice in a calendar year i.e in the month of February and August and candidates who have completed one year service on 30th June or 31st December of the year in which the test is conducted shall be eligible to appear.
4. It is requested that necessary action may be taken immediately to circulate the new syllabus as well as eligibility criteria so that next SB Aptitude may be held in February 2012.
5. This issues with the approval of DDG(FS).
(Kawal Jit Singh)
Assistant Director (SB)
Enclosure:- New Syllabus/Pattern/Eligibility Criteria etc.
Syllabus for Savings Bank Aptitude Test
Paper - I
Total No. of Questions-50
Qualifying Marks:- 50%
Note:- The examination will be held with the aid of books approved by the department. All the questions will be objective type with four options. The candidate has to choose the correct option as per his knowledge and quote the rule from the books approved for the examination to support his/her decision.
(1) Government Savings Bank Act 1873 (amended from time to time)
(2) Government Savings Certificates Act 1959 (amended from time to time)
(3) Public Provident Fund Act 1968 (amended from time to time)
(1) Post Office Savings Bank General Rules 1981 (amended from time to time).
(2) Post Office Savings Account Rules 1981 (amended from time to time).
(3) Post Office Recurring Deposit Rules 1981 (amended from time to time).
(4) Post Office Time Deposit Rules 1981 (amended from time to time).
(5) Post Office Monthly Income Account Rules 1987(amended from time to time).
(6) Public Provident Fund Scheme Rules 1968 (amended from time to time)
(7) National Savings Certificate (VIII Issue) Rules, 1989 (amended from time to time).
(8) Kisan Vikas Patras Rules, 1986 (amended from time to time).
(1) All procedural rules of POSB Manual Vol-I and II.
(2) All SB Orders issued from 1.1.2007 onwards.
(1). POSB Manual Vol-I or Compilation of POSB Manual Vol-I
(2) POSB Manual Vol-II or Compilation of POSB Manual Vol-II
(3) POSB Manual Vol-III or Compilation of POSB Manual Vol-III or Handbook on Government Small Savings Schemes
Eligibility Criteria:- All Postal Assistants who have completed one year’s service on 30th June or 31st December of the year in which test is conducted shall be eligible to appear. Test will be conducted twice in a calendar year i.e in the month of February and August. Candidates who have completed one year’s service as on 31st December shall be eligible for appearing in the test to be held in February and those who have completed one year’s service as on 30th June shall be eligible for appearing in the test to be held in August. There will be no restriction on number of times a candidate can appear.
Setting up of paper and venue:- Test will be conducted by the circle. Date, time and venue will be decided at circle level and circulated at least 30 days before the scheduled date. Setting up of paper will be done at the level of Postal Training Centre. Chief Postmaster General of the circle shall decide the name of Postal Training Centre from which the Paper will be got set. A blank line is required to be provided after 4 options in each question to mention the Rule in support of the answer. Evaluation of the papers shall also be got done from the same PTC. Result will be declared by the circle. Successful candidates shall be posted in the branches pertaining to POSB/SC in post offices/divisional offices/regional offices and circle office. If surplus candidates qualified, a list of such candidates may be prepared in the preference of marks obtained in the test and they shall be posted in the SB/SC branches as and when required.
Reporting:- All circles will send half yearly report to the FS Division of Directorate in the enclosed format.
Format of Half Yearly Report (to be sent in the month of April and October)
Name of Circle
No. of Fully
No. of SB
No. of SB